Welcome to the pear club! You join a host of other beautiful, stylish pear body types, like Jennifer Lopez, Beyoncé, Kim Kardashian, Rihanna, Alicia Keys, and Christina Aguilera.
Pear: Larger on the bottom Your hips are wider than your bust and shoulders. You have round, sloping shoulders. You have a well-defined waistline. Your bum and thighs are your fullest part.
There are general guidelines and tricks for creating balance and proportions when dressing each body type. There may be some areas you want to emphasize more, and other areas you want to detract from in order to create balance and proportion. Your choice and placement of color, texture, pattern, accessories, etc determine where the eye is drawn and how proportioned your body appears. However, these are only tips and you ultimately get to decide where you want the focal point of your outfit to be.
Tips for a Pear Shape:
The pear body shape is heavier on the bottom which creates an imbalance with the upper half of the body. You want to create the illusion of volume on the upper body while emphasizing the waist and de-emphasizing the lower body to create a balanced silhouette.
- Highlight the upper body, accentuate the waistline and play down the lower body.
- Keep bright color, pattern, texture, and embellishments on the top and plain, darker materials on the bottom
- Add focal points to the shoulder and bust area to de-emphasize the hips and thighs to balance out the silhouette
- Keep away from boxy tops that hide the waist
- Avoid skinny and tight bottoms that emphasize the wide hips
- Avoid details, patterns, pockets on your thigh and hip area, and belts on your hips
Now that you know some basics of how to work with your body proportions, let our stylists help take you to the next level and elevate your everyday style! We highly recommend Erika’s virtual one-on-one style session, Discovering and Dressing Your Body Type.
Erika has 10 years of experience as a personal stylist. She specializes in plus-sized and full-figured styling, maternity styling, career styling, and special event styling. She will be your #1 cheerleader and advocate, your partner-in-style, and always make you feel like the VIP that you are. And check out what other styling sessions she offers as well.