Welcome to the Inverted Triangle club! You join a host of other beautiful, stylish triangles, like Cindy Crawford, Renée Zellweger, Naomi Campbell, Angelina Jolie, Lucy Liu, and Victoria Beckham.
Inverted Triangle: Your prominent shoulders are wider than your hips and are the widest part of your body. You probably have an athletic build and a flat bum. You might have a larger chest and fuller back than rectangles.
There are general guidelines and tricks for creating balance and proportions when dressing each body type. There may be some areas you want to emphasize more, and other areas you want to detract from in order to create balance and proportion. Your choice and placement of color, texture, pattern, accessories, etc determine where the eye is drawn and how proportioned your body appears. However, these are only tips and you ultimately get to decide where you want the focal point of your outfit to be.
The goal for dressing this shape is to balance the broader shoulders, chest and back with the narrower lower body to create a balanced silhouette.
This is achieved by choosing clothes that add curves to the hips and bottom while creating a more defined waist and de-emphasising the upper body.
- Soften the broad shoulder line with soft, drapey fabrics
- Dress your upper body in minimal colors, patterns and volume
- Add volume, details, color and pattern to your hips, bottom and legs
- V-necklines will draw the eye away from the shoulders and towards the bust line
- Wide necklines that broaden the shoulders and other strong shoulder details (eg shoulder pads)
- Boat necks and plunging necklines
- Skinny and tight trousers as well as tapered hemlines that make the lower body look smaller
Now that you know some basics of how to work with your body proportions, let our stylists help take you to the next level and elevate your everyday style! We highly recommend Erika’s virtual one-on-one style session, Discovering and Dressing Your Body Type.
Erika has 10 years of experience as a personal stylist. She specializes in plus-sized and full-figured styling, maternity styling, career styling, and special event styling. She will be your #1 cheerleader and advocate, your partner-in-style, and always make you feel like the VIP that you are. And check out what other styling sessions she offers as well.